Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Big Changes, Little Time

Joe and I are moving. We'll still be in Grinnell, just across town in a different apartment. We're excited.

People ask us "why are you moving?" And honestly, I can give some boring answers having to do with boring little details, but really, we're moving....because we can. And we are excited to be a couple of crazy kids who just move because their lease is up and they can hop right across town to something new. And, for those of you out there who share my love for architecture and character in buildings, we're moving to a loft apartment with big arched windows in the living room, an original 1896 stone facade and wood floor in the kitchen, and brick wall in the bathroom. Whatever else it may be lacking, it has all the right things that make me want to take on any challenges that may come with it. Character and charm rightly ooooze out of the walls. The original brick walls, that is.

Also it is down the street from a cafe/coffee shop that also has smoothies. Our budget may be in trouble...

Discoveries: I am finding that Grinnell has a million little treasures that seem to pop out of nowhere. I have been here for a little over 2 months now, and keep on finding them. Here are a few of my favorites:

1. Thai Basil: A thai restaurant in the middle of this little town BUYAH!
2. Farmer's Market on Thursdays and Saturdays
3. ARCHITECTURE IS AMAZING!! Seriously, I ride my bike through town and just look at houses. Old beautiful victorians are rampant here. Some are in great shape, some need serious work, but they are all beautiful in their own way. I love seeing the different eras represented on the streets as I pass.
4. The Fareway here carries a lot of local produce. Lately, they've had apples from a local orchard. I love that.
5. There is a lake about 2 blocks from our current apartment. It took us about a month to find that out.
6. Dari Barn. yes. It is delicious. You know, the teeny little ice cream shops that are only open in the summer. This one is a big deal. I get a small vanilla cone with Krunch on the top. Krunch (or Twinkles!) is candy-coated peanuts and sprinkles mixed together. It's awesome.
7. All of the events at Grinnell College are free to the public. That's theatre, sports, music, anything.

The jobs are going well. I'm finishing up building a design for Grinnell High School. I'm helping with the build and carving some column capitals. They're doing the Real Inspector Hound (Becky Love, I think of you!), and I'm hoping the set looks as good as it does in my head. We'll see.

Things with Theatre Cedar Rapids are going GREAT. I'm done with show #2, and going to start on #3 in about two weeks. Ahh, the beloved Annie.

hmmm...

Oh! I'm trying out my green thumb...mostly to see if I have one. But I'm doing okay! I have managed to kill only 1 (almost 2) of 3 plants from my wedding. Two are doing pretty good, though, so we'll see if they keep keepin' on. (I have better light in the new apartment, so I'm hoping that helps). But I also have a pot of chives, and they're doing pretty darn good! I've cut some off quite a few times, and they keep on growing! And my most recent acquisition is a "Corn Plant" with Pothos planted below it. The Pothos looks like a philodendron (I thought it was a philodendron, but I looked it up, and although they're very similar, it's definitely a Pothos...but it doesn't make any difference in care) and the Corn Plant looks a little like a palm tree, with a trunk and such, but the leaves at the top look like corn leaves. Pretty cool. And it really helps brighten things up. Growing things are so nice to have around, because it gives a place life and hope. I'm excited to see if I can keep them alive.

Also, we have a little baby pumpkin named Alfred. But he's not growing. He's really dying since he got picked, only don't tell him, because I don't think he knows it yet. he's a cute little bugger.

So there you go. That's my inventory of green, rooted, happy growing things.

And I think that will end my post for now. Joe and I are doing good, loving our life, having fun whenever possible.

Until next time, see ya!

1 comment:

Beckett said...

I really hope I get to see all this sometime. You describe it very well.

It's good to hear what you've been up to.