Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Making History

I am watching history right now in my life. If you don't believe me, just Google "Cedar Rapids flood" and read some stories and look at ridiculous pictures. I guess I don't know how much the world knows or cares about little old Iowa, but seriously, we have gotten hit hard. Not me, personally, but Iowa in general. It's tragic. First, all the tornado's, especially in Parkersburg. People lost people they care about and everything they had. Then, this flood. There was a town, I can't remember which one, that was devastated by the tornado's a couple weeks ago, and they are now evacuated because of flooding. So even those surviving homes may now be full of water, which leaves behind a terrible amount of destruction.

One of the worst floods on record here was in '93, and people still talk about it as the "big flood" and the reference for all other flooding. The peak of the Cedar River, which goes right through the heart of downtown, was approximately 19' 3" that year. This Friday, the river is supposed to peak at 24' 6". There are people that live over 6 blocks away from the river downtown who have been evacuated. It's just so unthinkable. And Palo, a little town about 10 minutes from where I live, is completely evacuated. I actually went there this morning to help fill sandbags. The people that I was with are probably in an emergency shelter tonight. That's a crazy thought. I met one girl who is from Robins (not flooded), and she had been in Parkersburg yesterday, drove to Palo, and from 5:30-10:30 last night, worked on sandbags. She was there at 8 this morning when I got there and kept working when I had to leave. That is the kind of person that gets things done and helps people. I'm glad I met her. I wish all of those people the best. I'll be praying, and I'm so sorry.

Thankfully, no one has been hurt. I hope that it stays that way. Pray if you can. Thanks.

No comments: