Sunday, June 15, 2008

Sinking In

Well hello, all. The excitement is over. The river has done its damage and is on its way down, leaving behind more destruction than anyone can imagine. All of the adrenaline that comes with something catastrophic has passed, and people are starting to think about the real implications of what the past week's happenings will really mean.

As a waitress, I could not escape from all of the conversations with my customers...almost all of which were about the flooding. Can it just go away? Yes, we got news coverage, and now the world knows about Cedar Rapids, but can we hit rewind and wake up from the dream? Well, I guess I'm doing my part. I leave for Spain on Tuesday. I keep telling people I'm fleeing the county, but really I do need to get out of here. A nice vacation in sunny Spain. Ahhhh. It will be wonderful. So I am greatly looking forward to it. It comes with a strange sense of guilt, though, that so many people in my home will be in need and I will be loving life far away. There will still be plenty of work to be done when I return, though. I am not worried. I believe that the rest of my internship at Theatre Cedar Rapids may involve scooping river muck and sewage and dead fish out of the basement and tearing out the upholstery of the main seating. I have designed a show there, I don't need more resume stuff if they need help in other ways. I'm completely willing to scrub walls. Just give me a bucket and a sponge.

Pastor Steve talked today about not worrying about where our next meal, clothes, or housing is coming from. Strangely enough, that sermon was planned long before the flooding. God works, it's great. Another glimpse of God is the sheer timing of my adventure abroad. I really wanted to go earlier in the summer, but couldn't. And although I would like to be able to help out around here, I really do need a break. God's timing is perfect.

Funny story on how I have personally been affected by the waters:

My debit card expires at the end of the month. I will be in Spain. Hmmm...no debit card to get cash out. I called my banker and they were going to send another one. It was supposed to be here Friday. All mail was stopped on Friday. Funny story. We'll see if it gets here tomorrow...

Also, I'm getting my wisdom teeth pulled after I come back...I don't know if that office is under water. But they'll be fine when I get back. Just interesting.

And lastly: the only place to change money in CR is at the US bank building downtown. I changed money on Tuesday. I almost waited until Thursday. The U.S. Bank building's first floor has about 4 feet of water in it. Had I waited...No Euros for Becky. God is Good.

So that's my life. I in no way think that I have the raw end of any deal. On the contrary, I have been greatly blessed. Beckett's stayed open and served with paper plates and napkins and plastic silverware and cups to conserve water. It was interesting, but hey, we didn't have to roll silverware at the end of the night!

Please continue to pray if you like. There are at least 8 families in my church who have been evacuated from their homes. I think the estimate of the city is between 10,000 and 30,000 people displaced. A large range, I know. Facts are hard to sort through right now.

Happy Sunday

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Hey, I will be there with a bucket and sponge scrubbing TCR down. With you or without you. I'll see to it that it is done!! haha
Then its to the IC damage. Uuuuugh, my poor music building! All those pianos...
But you are amazing, and I hopo you have an amazing time in Spain!! <3