Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Hey guess what?

I'm Married!! Betcha didn't see that one coming! The day was beautiful, cold (yeah, middle of July--I was shivering!), but not rainy and the photos look wonderful, partly because the clouds were AMAZING, but mostly because we had a fabulous photographer, this little lady named Rebecca Love. Yeah, I recommend her. Also, Joe and I have a couple of other pieces of hers in our living room....Betcha didn't know that, Rebecca.

I am currently living as a hermit in an apartment in Grinnell that I really like, though if I had to lose one thing, I could do without our eight-legged friends that seem to like exploring. We're getting that figured out, though. Raid or something will commence.

Joe says I should meet people. I ask how. He says the supermarket. (well, I might have suggested that as a joke). So if you're ever in Grinnell in the supermarket, I'm the weird one who starts talking with you in the frozen foods aisle...or perhaps produce. I think produce is a better shot.

But I'm going to try to make a few connections around town through theatre stuff...I'm still working on that...and we're looking for a church so once we have that figured out, it will be a good outlet for social skill usage. I believe that will be more promising than the produce department. I'm looking forward to that.

I am currently in CR painting Altar Boyz, an upcoming, should-be-hilarious show. I should finish tomorrow. Today was a good day. Moments of magic happened. I love it when it does that. And I finished a show two weeks ago for the Old Creamery Theatre Company in Amana. For that show, I built a giant gold 3-D musical staff that went up and over the proscenium and disappeared into the masking. It turned out pretty darn awesome, if you ask me. Which you did not, but apparently you no longer have to.

So that's what I've been up to, aside from being a wife! I try to be a good little wifey, cooking and cleaning, but I take walks and runs and pictures and read books for me, too. I can't get too June Cleaver or I'll go a little bit crazy. Scary. Maybe I'll put my hair into a fohawk, just to put the edge back in my waltz. Sounds good. Becky, I may need your help. Rachel, Becky may need your help. Awesome.

oh, and I just finished reading The Shack. I was a little skeptical at first because I generally like to read books that aren't crazy popular, you know, so I feel like an individual, not a head of cattle. But I really really enjoyed it. It puts the basics back into perspective. It's not written to create hard and solid rules and guidelines. It's to reveal the loving, forviving, happy, lauging, cooking, gracious, faithful, accepting God that we often cover over with rules and guilt. It is about the freedom to love God and be loved by Him. And my favorite line from the book was talking about relating to others and sharing God's love. It says, "You are free to love without an agenda." I love that. So although I hate to admit it, I am a follower, and I highly recommend the book to anyone looking for a new perspective or struggling with how to relate to God, or feeling chained down by guilt or remorse or rules. God is good, all the time.

There, now I've posted. cha ching.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wowsers. Congratulations Becky (and Joseph)!

*insert witty statement and/or awkward silence*

I'll have to call you two one of these days and catch up with you.

Hjon

Beckett said...

that was a fantastic blog

i look forward to seeing these pieces in your living room.

i like that you refer to me as Rebecca. it makes me feel professional.

i will put your hair in a mohawk anytime you want. anytime. ;)

Sarah said...

:)

I read "The Shack" this summer. Interesting, eh?

Also, I am still unhappy about my inability to attend your wedding :(

I went to Dordt yesterday and you were there. But I smiled at your sign in the shop. It made me miss you.

Ashley said...

Your wedding was totally fab. I had a blasty blast. :-)

I liked the Shack. I like those books that aren't so stereotypically 'squeaky clean Christian.' I'm into books that tell it like it is and aren't afraid of getting a little messy...even if the messiness fails to come out. Ya know? I hope you understand me. lol

<3

Andrea said...

I just finished reading The Shack...I think the way you phrased it is spot on. Happy married life!

Beckett said...

I miss you in my life :(