Sunday, June 1, 2008

End of a Chapter

My best friend is married. The ceremony and reception is done, and all the planning seems to have evaporated, for it is no longer relevant except in memory and the experiences it produced. I have this confusing feeling of joy and sadness. Joy that Lee and Luke were so happy and are now together the way they've wanted for so long. Sadness because although our little huddle hasn't changed in appearance, it has changed in character. Leanna is a beautiful, talented, and ecstatic young woman who just married her knight in shining armor, and that will change all of us. I've been there since before the beginning, and it's strange to see the end of the beginning, and the beginning of a whole new adventure that they will share together, side by side.

"I wish you the best and I wish nothing less than everything you've ever dreamed of, and I hope that you find love along the way."

I wish you all the joy and happiness in the world.

I found this poem in a book for a class a couple of years ago, and I love it. So I thought I would post it here. It's perhaps a little too intimate for an open-air blog such as this, and if you're not a romantic, perhaps this should be censored for you, but I'm posting it anyway. This is what I wish for Luke and Leanna Showman now, and 30 years down the line:


Prayer for a Marriage
Steve Scafidi

When we are old one night and the moon
arcs over the house like an antique
China saucer and the teacup sun

follows somewhere far behind
I hope the stars deepen to a shine
so bright you could read by it

if you liked and the sadnesses
we will have known go away
for awhile--in this hour or two

before sleep--and that we kiss
standing in the kitchen not fighting
gravity so much as embodying

its sweet force, and I hope we kiss
like we do today knowing so much
good is said in the primitive tongue

from the wild first surprising ones
to the lower dizzy ten thousand
infinitely slower ones--and I hope

while we stand there in the kitchen
making tea and kissing, the whistle
of the teapot wakes the neighbors.

I love you kids. Congratulations.

4 comments:

Justine Teresa said...

penny jar?

Laurel said...

becky, because i don't know how often you check facebook, i'm posting here, too. there's a 2 week scenic painting gig in cleveland that would pretty much be yours if you wanted it. let me know if you want more info.

Ashley said...

Beautiful poem. I love it! :-)
You are great!! <3

Anonymous said...

aww penny,
i finally got around to reading this. thanks for writing what you did. and you know what?? we will always be the four of us-always =)