Monday, June 9, 2008

Searching for Who Knows What

Have you ever known someone and had a distinct feeling that their life is at a turning point? And then there are those who have deep questions and doubts, but who don't have any answers and don't know where to find them. Everyone seems to be searching for fulfillment, for answers, for something solid to hold on to. And then there are those who say they have the answer, yet that too must be defined and hammered out. So does anyone truly have the answers? Yes, this is used by the Church many times, saying "The world is searching for a purpose in life, and Jesus is the only one who can fill that hole we feel." But what happens when those who have experienced the incredible love of Christ begin to face the confusing and conflicting ideas of what Christianity is to look like? What happens when they are faced with Armenianism and Predestination? Or infant baptism and believers baptism? What happens along the way to the childlike faith that says "God loves me, and I love him, so I will do what he tells because I know it's best"? You know, like the song, "Trust and obey, for there's no other way to be happy in Jesus than to trust and obey." When did Faith become Technicalities? When did "Follow me and sin no more" become "Just go to church and don't drink or cuss anymore"? Sometimes people tell me, "Wow, so cynical at such a young age!" Sometimes they're right, and I work on that. But you know what? I have rarely heard those words out of the lips of a brother or sister in Christ. Perhaps that is because I act differently around them, but perhaps we as Christians have lost touch with what it really means to be a child of God. To listen and love him as our father.

Perhaps we have stopped searching.

And maybe it is those who continue to search who truly find what they're looking for. I hope that those I know who are searching can find their answer in Christ. I pray that they use their seemingly unending supply of positivity in the work of our Father. And I pray that the answer they find gives them such joy that they will never stop searching the endless depths of God's Love and Grace.

1 comment:

Justine Teresa said...

"perhaps we have stopped searching"...
i'm inclined to think that apathy is one of the biggest problems in our culture. i think the church has tried so hard to be different than culture that they've completely lost what it's suppose to be and therefore alienated most of culture so that people have stopped listening.

i don't know. maybe i'm just cynical as well.

i miss you.