Sunday, September 7, 2008

Unity?

Today was a day full of coincidence...or was it? This morning in church, I read a passage out of Psalm 51- David's lament after his affair with Bathsheba. Ironically, the morning before I got the email telling me what the reading would be, I read the account of David and Bathsheba in II Samuel. Also ironic, that same scripture passage was read tonight at GIFT. Coincidence? Doubtful.

While in Gift tonight, I was struck with a realization. The GIFT planners had provided a time of reflection, a time to look toward God--a time of confession. But what I couldn't get out of my mind was that each person was looking to connect with God and feel His presence as an individual. I continually worship God surrounded by people, yet only pay attention to what I am saying, and what I am feeling. Where do the ideas of unity and togetherness come into play? I am surrounded by fellow Christians every day, and yet I do not connect with them on the one level that we ultimately have in common. In an individualistic society, do I isolate myself from those who have the wisdom to help, looking only toward a direct experience with God? Does God not use people and situations to teach us about Him more often than a direct miraculous experience? And yet, when I am at a worship service, I avoid eye contact with most people around me, and if I had the power to view people's mindset in a tangible way, I am afraid that I would see a glowing sphere of isolation around almost everyone present--with a vertical focus and no concern for the surrounding group that is meant to support and encourage.

And yet, without fail, I will see a small group of people with their arms around each others shoulders, praising their God together with a common love for each other and the One that binds them together. I find great encouragement in those glimpses of the unifying love of Christ. They have the Joy Joy Joy down in their hearts...and I'm so happy.

No comments: